Friday, November 19, 2010

Whadya Know?

So, anyone who knows me knows that I don't really read that often.  Here is my official apology to every English, History, or whatever subject teacher that assigned a book for the class to read and I neglected to do so.

Dearest teachers,

I lied.  I lied by omission when I showed up to class to discuss a book or turned in a paper.  I'm sure you already knew this, but in your class when you assigned that classic novel, I probably read the first couple of pages and then just got the Spark Notes.  I'm terrible sorry, for I have finally realized the error in my ways.

I had always thought that I was too busy, or maybe that the book would not be interesting enough.  I mean, it is well believed by many that if it is assigned as homework, then it can in no way be an interesting book.  When I should have read Wuthering Heights in its entirety, I skimmed.  When I really tried to read Olaudah Equiano, I fell into the best sleep of my life.  When I heard the name of the book The Invisible Man, I thought of that terrible movie with Chevy Chase.  And for this, I am sorry. 

In the past month, I haven't had internet at my house, I haven't had television, I haven't had any sort of entertainment.  Except for books.  And what an entertainment it has been.  I have read half a dozen books in only a month, including Jane Eyre and I am now in love with Bronte, Charlotte that is.  I have read classics and some not-so-classics, but I am reading.  I love it.  It is the most joyful thing to do.  While I was reading Jane Eyre, I experienced something.  It's hard to describe it, but I could not put the book down.  I felt what she was feeling, I felt the most intense pity when Jane had to leave the man that, I knew as well as she, loved her with every bit of his heart.  I found myself devouring every word of every page and savoring the beauty of the writing.  I felt what one is supposed to feel when reading a book, a classic, much like the ones assigned in your classes.

So, here it is.  I am sorry.  I was wrong, you were right. I need literature in my life.  I need to make time for the classics.  I need to read and write and enjoy.  And now I promise you this, I will find the time for reading the classics.  And if a book is assigned in grad school, I will read it with enthusiasm because I know it is worth my time and effort.

Sincerely,
Callie

P.S. Thanks for the good grades.  And if I ask you for a recommendation for grad school, let's pretend I didn't write this one blog.  Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment