Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some Memorable Quotes from My Time Here

So, I have a little yellow journal and I have written down some memorable quotes from many different sources.  Enjoy!

And sorry, sometimes I don't remember where I got them from.

"With my eyes closed, I would touch a familiar book and draw its fragrance deep inside me.  This was enough to make me happy."

"A monk awoke from a dream that he was a butterfly, then wondered whether he was a butterfly dreaming that he was a man."--Buddhist Parable

"Waiting for the perfect love?"
"No, even I know better than that.  I'm looking for selfishness.  Perfect selfishness. Like, say I tell zou I want to eat strawberry shortcake.  And you stop everything you're doing and run out and buy it for me.  And you come back out of breath and get down on your knees and hold this strawberry shortcake out to me.  And I say I don't want it anymore and throw it out the window. That's what I'm looking for."
"I'm not sure that has anzthing to do with love."
"It does.  You just don't know it.  There are times in a girl's life when things like that are incredibly important."
--Norwegian Wood by Murakami

"I want to know more about you."
"I'm just an ordinary guy-ordinary family, ordinary education, ordinary face, ordinary thoughts in my head."
"You're such a big Scott Fitzgerald fan... wasn't he the one who said you shouldn't trust anybody who calls himself an ordinary man?"
"True.  But this is no affection.  I really truly believe deep down that I'm an ordinary person.  Can you find something in me that's not ordinary?"
--Norwegian Wood by Murakami

"How much do you love me?"
"Enough to melt all the tigers in the world to butter."
--Norwegian Wood by Murakami

"It is vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquility: they must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.  Millions are condemned to a stiller doom than mine, and millions are in silent revolt against their lot.  Nobody knows how many rebellions besides political rebellions ferment in the masses of life which people earth.  Women are supposed to be very calm gernerally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged felloy creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to plazing on the piano and embroidering bags.  It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex."
--Jane Eyre

"It is madness in all women to let a secret love kindle within them, which, if unreturned and unknown, must devour the life that feeds it; and, if discovered and responded to, must lead, ignis-fatuus-like, into miry wilds, whence there is no extraction."
--Jane Eyre

"We are all Federalists.  We are all Republicans."
--Thomas Jefferson

"Peut-etre c'est cette nuit seule."
--a friend

"I will have one mistress here and no master."
--Elizabeth the film

"You're free to leave me but just don't deceive me and please believe me when I say... I love you."
--Moulin Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment